Saturday, August 21, 2010

I'm trying to decide what form of birth control i want?

I'm trying to decide what form of birth control i want?


So, I was on the pill for a year and a half. I didn't like taking pills every night. So i stopped taking them. I'm going in to the doctor and I need to weigh out my options. I know that they have shots but you gain a lot of weight with them but I wouldnt have to worry about taking pills . What other form of birth control do they have?? Don't say abstinence, because I am not taking them to prevent birth. If you have been on any, which one is best?? ThanksI'm trying to decide what form of birth control i want?
I tried the NuvaRing for about six months. I really liked the ';set it and forget it'; aspect but it gave me some of the worst irritation I've ever felt. Many women, however, have no issues.





Right now I'm using the Mirena IUD. With insurance it cost me just $40 (two office visit co-pays) and will be worry-free for a year. I've had it since last August and have suffered no ill effects. It's made my periods effectively disappear and I have no PMS symptoms at all anymore. It's been great.I'm trying to decide what form of birth control i want?
Tried the depo-provera shot. it can be administered thru the arm or buttocks. The downside is that you can only take it for 2yrs because it messes with the calcium levels...bad for women. I'm using the nuva ring which is inserted for 3weeks and removed for one. It's fine and you don't notice it's there nor does it fall out. Both have bothered my mood sometimes but thats what you get when these medicines effect your hormones.


check out the website listed.
the IUD is great
There are two fool proof ones. One is super glue. One drop on the inside of your knee, then touch your knees together. The other on is an oral contraceptive. It is called.......NO!!!!!!!
The Nuva ring is very good and you insert it 1x a month - There are dermal implants but it depends on your activity level if they are safe. The patch has come to light as being pretty risky so do your homework. The bottom line is check out a site like Planned Parenthood.org or WebMD for a complete list of options with pros and cons of each. Good Luck!
You need to talk to your gynecologist FIRST before making any decisions. You can't make such an important choice just because something worked for someone else. I can tell you that I used an IUD and was glad to not have to remember to do anything. But then, it was discovered that the IUD wasn't as safe as it should be. You might want to ask your gynecologist about the under the skin implants for birth control. You don't have to remember anything and the dose is time-released so you get exactly the right amount. But, don't just take friends' advice. Talk to a doctor!
The pill always worked best for me. I tried the patch for awhile but it made me feel strange. My skin got really oily, I was very irritable, and my boobs were bigger(which isn't bad but shows how much an effect they had on my body). I didn't like the way they made me feel so I went back to the pill.
Well the oral contraceptive pill is only effective if you take it everyday, at the exact same time. Other options that use hormones to prevent ovulation are the patch, the shot, the ring, implanon and one type of IUD.


The patch is used just like it sounds, stuck on the skin and the hormones are absorbed that way. It is changed 1 time per week for three weeks, and then the user will have their period on the fourth week. It is nice because you don't have to do something every day, but can be ineffective if you are very active and the patch peels, it needs to stick 100%.


The shot (or Depo, or DMPA) is a shot of progestin once every three months. The shot is good for people that want to be very uninvolved in their birth control- you really don't have to think about it! But, if you have side effects (commonly headaches, nausea, etc) you're basically stuck with it for three months- you can't undo it. And the shot needs to be administered ON TIME every three months or it is not effective.


Next, there is the ring (or NuvaRing) which is a flexible plasting ring that is inserted into the vagina where the user's body heat allows the hormones to be released from the plastic. It stays in the vagina for three weeks, and can't be felt the same way a tampon can't be felt. After three weeks, it is removed, the user has her period, and then starts a new ring. The ring is great for someone who is comfortable touching themselves (when inserting it and removing it), and leaving it in their vagina the FULL three weeks. But, there are no pills to forget to take or patches to peel off.


Implanon is just coming onto the market, and many health clinics and doctors have not providing it. Implanon is a small plastic rod that is inserted into skin under the arm where it releases progestin (like the shot) for a number of years. It requires an incision to be put in and removed. Ask your doctor if he/she provides it yet.


IUDs are fantastic for women who want a long term method of birth control that is reversible. There are two types of IUDs, the Mirena which has progestin and the ParaGard which does not. Both are similarly effective (over 99%) and work essentially the same way- they are inserted into the uterus where they prevent sperm from reaching the egg and any pregnancy from attaching to the uterine wall. The Mirena can be used for up to five years continuously, and the ParaGard can be used for up to twelve. Some doctors may say that this option is best for women who have had children already, but some feel that it makes no difference. This is obviously a method that is very effective, but to be taken seriously since it is intended for long term use.


Non hormonal options, or barrier methods, are things like condoms, spermicide and diaphragms/cervical caps. They contain no hormones and work by preventing sperm from reaching the egg. They are generally not as effective as hormonal options, but are ideal for someone who cannot use hormones (smokers, history of heart disease, over 40, etc).





This is the longest answer EVER-but lastly, all methods are most effective when combined with a second kind- pills + condom, shot + spermicide, use your imagination for other combos. Birth control is very subjective, the method that I love may be the worst option for someone else, so make your choice based on what you think is best for YOU.


Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment